Sunday, January 17, 2010

Mrs. Rueber is having a BABY!!

I finally broke the news to my students. I wanted to wait until I had a more visible belly, it is difficult for 5/6 year old's to comprehend a baby inside someone's belly without a little evidence.

I gave the students four clues to figure out my secret. I had them smell baby food (peaches), taste baby gold fish, touch and smell baby powder and hear a baby rattle. This was a great way to tie in our 5 senses! After the students touched, smelled, tasted and heard all of the clues they were stumped! So we talked about ALL of the clues again, "We smelled BABY food, touched and smelled BABY powder, tasted BABY gold fish and heard a BABY rattle!"

FINALLY, one of my students shouted out...."Mrs. Rueber is having a BABY!"


I had the students predict what the baby would be a boy or girl.
Boy = 6 students

Girl = 16 students


I guess we will just have to wait until July to find out!


We did a little home renovation this week...well we had a friend do a little renovation! We had a new sink put in, our old sink was worse than an apartment sink. It was only about 5 1/2 inches deep and yucky. Our new sink is 9 inches deep with a stylish new faucet and is FABULOUS!

We hired two plumbers to do the job, Patrick and Finley. Okay, well we asked if Patrick could do the work and Finely stopped by with mom (Heather) for pizza! Thanks for the company!


And here is our new FABULOUS sink and faucet! Thank you Patrick!


Baby Update: 15 weeks

Baby Rueber is approximately 4 inches long weighing about 2 1/2 ounces and about the size of an apple. He/She eyelids are fused shut, but baby R. can sense light. Baby R. is also forming taste buds, although he/she isn't tasting much yet.

I continue to feel better and better each week. I know many people refer to the second trimester as the "golden days" so I am keeping my fingers crossed that I continue to feel good! Saturday was the FIRST weekend day that I have NOT taken a nap in a long time!

Thank you Heather for the great idea on how to tell my students. They loved it and I loved watching their faces as they were using their senses to figure out "Mrs. Rueber's Secret". Thanks again!





2 comments:

  1. That littlest plumber is very cute :) I'm glad your kids had fun w/ the clues! Too bad you couldn't get paid a dime everytime one of them asks, "Is the baby here yet?" or you'd have Baby Rueber's college eucation paid for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun way to tell your students! Thanks for keeping us all updated! <3 you!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete